In times of disruption - particularly this US Open with it's ridiculous amount of upsets - stars are born. One such star is Andrey Rublev, a 19-year old from Russia. In a streak that quite probably shook the tennis world (if he is well-known enough for his age to be a shocker), Rublev reached the quarter-finals of the tournament dropping only one set! En route to such a spot, he pulled off two stunning upsets both in straight sets - one against Grigor Dimitrov in the second round and the other against David Goffin in the 4th round. Who is this rising star, and why have we not even barely noticed him yet?
Some facts about him...
Country of birth: Russia
Birth-date: 20 October 1997
Year turned pro: 2014
Coach: Fernando Vicente
Current prize money: US$770,908
Grand slam results: First and second rounds. The second round at best.
- Won the 2014 French Open junior title
- Played Futures tournaments in 2014 (the year he turned pro)
- Entered his first grand slam at the 2015 US Open (albeit as a qualifier)
- Won his first Challenger title in 2016
- Won his first ATP title at the 2017 Croatia Open Umag ( this was only the seventh time in ATP history wherein a lucky loser would win a tournament
- His win over world no.9 Grigor Dimitrov at the 2017 US Open is his first win over someone within the ATP top 10
The acceleration of Rublev's career is rapid indeed - who would imagine possible the reaching of the quarter-finals of the US Open by someone who only started playing in the main draw of grand slams that very same year, and have never gotten past the second round!
Rafa is the real champion and I am going to just try and enjoy it.This is the quarter-finals I have nothing to lose**- Andrey Rublev**
The above words should ring fear in Rafael Nadal, because you play best when you have nothing to lose...
Rovo is an app that connects you with other sports players nearby. It takes the hassle out of coordinating timings and matching others of the same skill level so you can #playmore!
Get the latest versions of the app here